The science behind weight loss and weight maintenance is not as complicated as it’s perceived to be. Once a cricket fiend and now a certified personal trainer, spinning instructor and nutrition counselor, 24-year-old Abhisht Sharma tells us that what you eat or your daily diet contributes to 70 per cent of your fitness journey. The remaining 30 per cent is attributed to burning the excess fat from your body by exercising according to your body type.
Once you reach your weight loss goal, the next step is weight maintenance. This comes from consistency and persistence. But let’s delve into that later. For now, we’ll let Sharma share with us his journey from a cricketer to a fitness guru.
“I realised I was obese for my body type at 84 kg. I was in the twelfth grade at the time,” he says. “In my first year of college, I joined the cricket team. I loved the sport. It and my teammates helped me understand the importance of fitness. But I still lacked proper knowledge,” he adds.
“After playing cricket in college for a couple of years, I took it up professionally. By now, I had done my due diligence on eating right and working out for my body’s benefit,” he explains.
He also states that even though he couldn’t pursue playing cricket in the long run, he didn’t give up on his routine and made a name for himself in the fitness industry after following the below mentioned 4-step plan to lose weight and get fit.
4-step plan he followed to lose weight:
“I weigh 71 kg now, and maintain a great physique. I was able to achieve this weight goal in a very healthy manner by following these 4 steps:
1. Setting a schedule
Setting a day’s plan is very important. It helps you stay focused on your priorities.
2. Strength training (for 4 days minimum)
Strength training or lifting weights increases your metabolic rate (number of calories you burn at rest) which helps you burn fat. It also helps build strength and stamina. Having said this, I am not saying that gymming is the only way to achieve this strength and stamina. You can find a routine that works for you. Gymming worked for me.
3. Cardio and mobility workouts (for 2 days)
Cardio is as important because you don’t want to compromise on cardiovascular endurance as your body needs to be fit in every aspect.
Your daily diet contributes to 70 per cent of your fitness journey. The above is just 30 per cent. Trust me! You are what you eat. For me, this was mainly eating clean food and following the below diet plan.”
Diet plan he followed to lose weight:
Early Morning: A glass of warm water
Breakfast: 250ml milk with 20gm oats and 5 almonds (soaked overnight)
Midday: A handful of boiled chickpeas
Lunch: 1 small bowl of curd, 1 bowl dal, 1 cup greens, 2 rotis and 3 eggs (2 egg whites + 1 whole)
Post-lunch/Pre-workout: 1 bowl of fruits and a glass beetroot juice
Post-workout: 5 eggs and 100gm sweet potato
Evening Snacks: 2 eggs and 1 tbsp peanut butter
Dinner: 2 rotis, 150gm chicken/100gm fish/100gm paneer with flax seeds and a bowl of veggies
How does he maintain his current weight?
“Consistency and persistence are my mantras. Even in quarantine you should be innovative and try doing exercises which at least get your heart rate up.”
Any tips for someone who’s trying to lose weight?
“Follow a routine and don’t get distracted, if you do, remember why you started and that there is no looking back!”
Disclaimer: The fitness journey, diet and workout routines shared by the respondents are purely for inspirational purposes and in no way intend to propagate a specific body type. Please consult an authorised medical professional before following any specific diet or workout routine mentioned above.
Have you lost weight and got fit? Share your body transformation story too! Write to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will publish select stories right here!
> More on Fitness