We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Seattle Sutton’s are a meal delivery company who offer ready-to-eat meals tailored to a person’s ideal daily calorie intake.
Seattle Sutton’s provide three meals per day, with a focus on weight loss.
Subscribers can choose between different plans, including vegetarian options.
This article will discuss the Seattle Sutton’s brand, the services and options they offer, and the health benefits and potential drawbacks of their meals.
A registered nurse founded Seattle Sutton’s in 1985, making it one of the oldest meal preparation and delivery services still operating in the United States.
The company say that they hope to help people lose weight, practice portion control, and enjoy tasty, healthful food. Its founders claim that serving people healthful, preprepared meals can help them learn how to make more nutritious choices.
Seattle Sutton’s offer three basic meal plans based on a person’s daily calorie goals and whether or not they are vegetarian. These plans include:
- 1,200 calories per day
- 1,500 vegetarian calories per day
- 2,000 calories per day
Seattle Sutton’s cook and prepare the meals, so there is no cooking or need to follow a recipe. Instead, users can refrigerate the meals upon arrival and heat them up when they want to eat them.
The meal plan changes weekly, and customers cannot choose individual meals. Some sample meals include:
- ciabatta egg sandwich
- pumpkin bread with nut butter
- pear and gorgonzola salad
- turkey barley soup with fresh fruit
The specific price a user pays will depend on their zip code. Within each calorie plan, the price options include:
- 21 meals for a full week of food, at around $155
- 12 meals for 5 weekdays of food, at around $100
- 9 meals for a full weekend of food, at around $80
Users can cancel or pause their meal delivery at any time, and they do not have to sign a contract.
Some benefits of Seattle Sutton’s delivery service include the following:
- Users can get all of their meals for a week in one delivery, which may reduce their grocery bill, meal preparation time, and other causes of meal-related stress.
- Reviewers generally say that the food is flavorful and filling.
- The menu changes each week, offering a wide variety of meals.
- Seattle Sutton’s say that they follow guidelines for a heart-healthy diet and include nutritional information on each meal.
Some drawbacks of Seattle Sutton’s delivery service include the following:
- Users cannot preselect specific meals. This makes it impossible for people who follow certain limited ingredient diets to get meals they can eat. Also, Seattle Sutton’s do not offer many paleo or gluten-free options.
- The service provides a full day’s worth of calories. People who add snacks, seasonings, or sides to the meal may eat more calories than their diet plan recommends.
- Users cannot list ingredient preferences or restrictions. Because of this, the service may not be appropriate for people with certain medical conditions or dietary needs.
- Each meal is individually packaged, which makes them more convenient to eat. However, this also produces more waste, and the company do not provide any information about sustainability.
Seattle Sutton’s focus primarily on weight loss. Their meals may support better portion control and help a person steadily lose weight without worrying about counting calories or following a specific diet plan.
However, the plans only offer up to 2,000 calories per day at most, and the lowest calorie plans offer only 1,200 calories per day. This is far below the average calorie need per day for both men and women, which means that this diet may be hard to follow in the long term.
This also means that many people may not be able to meet their daily calorie needs with Seattle Sutton’s meals alone.
Seattle Sutton’s say that their meals are calorie and portion controlled and can work for a variety of dietary needs. Their meals are free from trans fats, high fructose corn syrup, and antibiotics.
However, the company do not list the nutritional facts for each meal on the weekly menu. They also do not list individual ingredients, though they do include this information on each meal package.
As with all meal delivery services, there is a risk that the meals may not arrive fresh, particularly in high heat or when there are shipping delays.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommend making sure that the food is insulated and cold when it arrives. Do not eat the food if it arrives above 40ºF (4.5ºC).
Seattle Sutton’s meals are good options for vegetarians, people who are not picky eaters, and those who want to learn to eat more healthful food.
People who follow the plan and who do not add food may lose weight while still eating foods that they enjoy.
As with all diets, people should discuss their weight loss plans with a doctor or dietitian if they need to lose a significant amount of weight for their health.