A Rhode Island teen tested “presumptive positive” for coronavirus and another woman was being evaluated for the infection — with officials saying the pair went on the same school trip with a man who was previously confirmed to have the bug.
The teen, who is at home with mild symptoms, became the state’s second case of the widespread illness, the Rhode Island Department of Health announced, according to the Providence Journal.
Test results are still pending for a woman in her 30s, identified as a staff member at Achievement First Academy in Providence, the Journal reported.
A man in his 40s was named the state’s first coronavirus case Sunday, and he has been hospitalized for his symptoms.
All three attended a mid-February field trip to Europe organized by Saint Raphael Academy in Pawtucket. The group spent some time in Italy — which has recently seen an outbreak of the deadly bug.
“All three people went on the same trip to Italy,” Rhode Island Department of Health director Nicole Alexander-Scott told WJAR. “This is precisely why we are being so aggressive in identifying contacts, ensuring monitoring, and testing people who are symptomatic.”
Saint Raphael Academy said in a notice posted to its website that the school “will be closed for the remainder of the week. Students will be instructed at home through virtual learning.”
Achievement First Academy will also be closed for two days, pending its staffer’s test results, according to the Journal.
Meanwhile, all 38 people who went on the trip are required to self-monitor for symptoms at home for 14 days, with public health supervision. They are not permitted to go to school or work.
In total, 89 cases of coronavirus were confirmed in the US — as well as two deaths in the Seattle, Wash., area — by Monday morning. Of those infected, 44 are former passengers of the coronavirus-stricken Diamond Princess cruise ship.