(WXYZ) — Metro Detroit is still having the highest COVID-19 case rate, according to the state of Michigan, but the trend is decreasing.
Michigan Department of Health and Human Services Chief Medical Executive Dr. Joneigh Khaldun outlined the COVID-19 data and case rates for the entire state during a press conference on Tuesday afternoon.
According to Khaldun, the metro Detroit region is seeing about 69 cases per million people per day, but the trend is decreasing. Within a region, the state said that counties may differ in how the virus is spreading.
As of Monday, the state said there were 97,660 cases of COVID-19 and 6,397 deaths.
- Detroit region – 69 cases per million people per day, decreasing in last week
- Upper Peninsula – 57 cases per million people per day, decreasing in last week
- Saginaw region – 57 cases per million people per day, increasing over the last week
- Kalamazoo region – 53 cases per million people per day, decreasing over past two weeks
- Grand Rapids region – 40 cases per million people per day, decreasing over past two weeks
- Traverse City region – 32 cases per million people per day, increasing over past two weeks
- Jackson & Lansing region – 25 cases per million people per day, decreasing over past one to two weeks
According to Khaldun, the percent of positive tests is holding steady at about 3.3%, but the state wants that number to be below 3%.
Additional Coronavirus information and resources:
Click here for a page with resources including a COVID-19 overview from the CDC, details on cases in Michigan, a timeline of Governor Gretchen Whitmer’s orders since the outbreak, coronavirus’ impact on Southeast Michigan, and links to more information from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, the CDC and the WHO.
View a global coronavirus tracker with data from Johns Hopkins University.
See complete coverage on our Coronavirus Continuing Coverage page.
Visit our The Rebound Detroit, a place where we are working to help people impacted financially from the coronavirus. We have all the information on everything available to help you through this crisis and how to access it.