Home Health News Coronavirus cases in Michigan reach 33 after latest update – Detroit Free Press

Coronavirus cases in Michigan reach 33 after latest update – Detroit Free Press

8 min read
0
0
80

The number of people who have tested positive for the coronavirus in Michigan now stands at 33, the state announced in a news release on Saturday. 

That’s up from the 25 known in the state as of Friday evening. Gov. Gretchen Whitmer announced the new count in a press release Saturday evening.

The number of cases in the state have ticked up since the state announced its first two cases of the virus that causes the global, deadly COVID-19 respiratory illness. Whitmer announced a state of emergency the same time Tuesday.  

Since then, the state has moved to close all K-12 schools, public universities have closed and gatherings more than 250 people have been banned.

President Donald Trump on Friday declared a national emergency in response to the pandemic.

Here’s what we know about the cases:

Of the cases reported prior to Saturday evening, patients have been residents from Bay, Charlevoix, Macomb, Wayne, Oakland, Washtenaw, Ingham, Kent, Montcalm and St. Clair counties. However, not all patients are in those counties.

The Health Department of Northwest Michigan noted that a woman who tested positive from Charlevoix County did not return home after her travel and was being treated in a downstate hospital.

In the Bay County case, the local health department said the individual was a physician at Covenant HealthCare in Saginaw. Area county health departments and Covenant HealthCare have been working together to inform patients, staff and others that may have been exposed, according to a news release.  

In Farmington Hills, Hillel Day School, a Jewish school that provides child care and K-8 education, shut down Friday after a teacher tested positive. Remote learning is to continue.

Students and staff in the school’s 1-2 learning community are in self-quarantine through March 23, the school said in a statement.

A mother of children who attend Hillel Day School told the Free Press a group of teachers returned from Israel in February, but the infected teacher was not on that trip. Photos on the school’s Facebook page show a group of teachers in Israel in February, where there are now over 150 confirmed cases of COVID-19. 

The teacher who tested positive did, however, recently travel domestically, said a Hillel Day School official. 

Here’s what the state released Friday evening on the cases, according to the announcement from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services:

  • A Bay County man with a history of domestic travel.
  • A Charlevoix County woman with a history of international travel. 
  • A Detroit woman with a history of international travel.
  • A Macomb County man with a history of international travel.
  • Two women and a man from Oakland County, one with a history of international travel and two with an unknown travel history.
  • Two Wayne County women, one with a history of domestic and the other with no history of travel. 

The Macomb County Health Department had reported earlier that its first presumptive positive case of the coronavirus is a middle-age man with a history of travel who is hospitalized. The health department said it is working to identify people who may have come into close contact with the patient so they take appropriate action and can be monitored for symptoms.

Four cases, announced Friday afternoon by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, included:

  • A Detroit woman with an unknown travel history.
  • A Washtenaw County man with a history of international travel.
  • A Wayne County woman with a history of contact with a confirmed case. 
  • An adult male. No additional information was available on this case. 

In each case, officials have said specimens will be sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for confirmation.

COVID-19 can appear in as few as two days or as long as 14 after exposure, officials say.

Symptoms include fever, cough and shortness of breath, according to health officials.

State health officials have urged residents to wash hands frequently, practice social distancing and avoid crowds, among other recommendations.

The state has set up a hotline at 888-535-6136 to answer health-related questions about the virus. It’ll be open from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. seven days a week, according to an announcement.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)


Source link

Load More Related Articles
Load More By admin
Load More In Health News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

Moderna CEO Expects Covid-19 Vaccine Interim Results in November – The Wall Street Journal

During WSJ Tech Live 2020, Moderna CEO Stéphane Bancel and Abbott CEO Robert Ford talk abo…